Group Challenge Deals #2

I played a group challenge on BBO with my friends Souvik (Souvik0612), Prajjwal (Astrot), Lia(lia1212), and Shiang (shiang). It was an 8-board MP tournament. Here is a review of the boards we played. 

Board 1

I had 15 HCPs and a singleton spade so I raised to 3H. I had 3 club losers, a diamond loser, and a spade loser. Luckily West led a heart towards my hand so I could capture East's queen. Diamonds split 3-3 and I took 9 tricks.

Souvik raised only to 2H and made an overtrick. Others opened 1NT. Both Lia and Shiang made 2 overtricks and Prajjwal could only make 1 overtrick.

Board 2

I had only 11 HCPs but my hand was two-suited with a club void. Hence I decided to play a suit contract. East was dealt the ace of spades and trumps split 3-3 so I could make an overtrick. I was lucky that West returned a club at trick 4.

Bidding was identical in all tables except Souvik’s. He bid 3H at his third turn and his partner raised to 4H. When diamonds split 3-3, he pitched his club losers on diamonds and made the contract. Others went down one.

Board 3

I passed my partner’s 3D. I won the first trick and forced out the ace of clubs to pitch a spade on a club. Opponents cashed A-K of hearts and could get a heart ruff. They also won a trump and I went down one.

The contract at Souvik’s and Shiang’s tables was also 3D. Souvik made 1 overtrick and Shiang went down one. Prajjwal and Lia bid 3NT and went down.

Board 4

I could win A-K of hearts and my singleton king of clubs. Opponents won the remaining tricks.

Everyone except me doubled when East bid 3C. They played a contract of 3S. Souvik played for doubleton Jack in spades so he went down only one. Others went down two.

Board 5

I had 16 HCPs and a singleton club so I decided to raise to 4S. I lost only one heart.

All players played the same contract. Everyone except Souvik pitched the club loser on a diamond. Hence Souvik made only 1 overtrick.

Board 6

I lost 1 trick from each side suit and made the contract.

The result was the same at other tables.

Board 7

I opened 1NT and everyone passed. Both the ace of hearts and king of spades was dealt with West so I went down one.

Everyone played 1NT but only Souvik made the contract.

Board 8

We could set the contract by winning a club, 2 hearts, ace of spades, and a diamond ruff. If my partner played the ace of spades at trick 2, we could have got 2 diamond ruffs.

Bidding was identical at all tables. Only Shiang and I beat the contract. But the play was a bit different. At Shiang’s table, his partner played the ace of spades at trick 2 and could get 2 diamond ruffs. But at trick 7, the partner returned a club. If he returned a heart, opponents would go down two.

Results

Here are the final results.

Name Score (%) Rank
Souvik 62.50 1
Tharinda 57.81 2
Shiang 56.25 3
Lia 46.88 4
Prajjwal 26.56 5

Congratulations Souvik! Well done everyone!

 

Comments

Post a Comment